Day 2 - Nuke TODO comments

That is a very valuable lesson right there. Thank you.

My takeaway from that is, if you’re going to have the TODO in the first place, even if there is an associated ticket/issue, best keep enough context there that it makes some sense on its own. I have also experienced that text lives longer than links.

1 Like

Well, I found the TODO I left at the bottom of my README from yesterday! :grin: spent some time on that and then applied the awesome rfluff script to a big app… That was interesting! There were far too many to tackle but got me thinking about a process for that :thinking:

Thanks to everybody for sharing here it’s been great so far.

1 Like

I went through a number of repos and reviewed all the TODO notes.

There were many fewer than I expected and most were more edge case comments than anything else. i.e. if statements that should result in exceptions because we shouldn’t get to that line of code.

I am going to work on identifying and documenting technical debt and repos that rely on versions of libraries that are being depricated to pull the technical debt / needs to a higher level for review / triage.

Found this 6 year old beauty in a haystack of almost 500 TODO comments:

The most difficult portion of this challenge for me was trying to figure out where the tickets I created should exist so that they’ll actually be noticed / worked on by the team.

If anyone here uses the ‘squad’ model for your teams, how do you manage cross-team concerns like housekeeping?

1 Like

My favorite TODO removed today was

<%# TODO: if no one yells after a week or two, ignore (and later fully remove) these columns that are display:none %>

This comment was made 5 months ago :stuck_out_tongue:
So not only did I get to clean up a TODO, I got to clean up the data model as well :rocket:


I had only a few TODOs. Now, they are gone :+1:

The oldest TODO comment I found was about 10 years old and had survived many reorgs and generations of developers.

Removed two TODOs from a repo today. One was obsolete and the other lead to a refactoring that was put off for a while but turned out to be just a fifteen minute task! Win win! They were both in a repo we started in summer last year so the “oldest” TODO comment was really just four months old

I looked through my main project for this challenge, no TODOs. I looked through a couple other current projects, no TODOs. An echo of last time I did this challenge. Summary: no TODOs found and even better:

Another strike against TODO comments: not helpful to potential contributors !

I’ve worked from time to time a a bug database administrator so I guess this habit is already ingrained.

Surprising to see no TODO was used in mine. Generally, separate app/tickets to track. But it’s good to know I am in good track and following best practise :).

I had one TODO I put into my code earlier this week so I knew exactly where to edit after my teammate finished his PR. That got updated today.

For those who use RoR and aren’t aware, you can do a bin/rails notes to see all the TODOs, FIXMEs and OPTIMIZEs, which I learned today! The guide has more details: The Rails Command Line — Ruby on Rails Guides.

Found about a hundred of Todos in multiple repo.I did go through a few and found that most of them have lost their validity but some of them are still valid.I plan to have a session with my colleagues to handle all the Todos.

I nuked 10 TODOs in my primary app repository by asking the original author (not on my team), who said they we all resolved. That resulted in removing 154 lines of unneeded test code. :muscle:

Found about 50 TODOs in one of my apps, some dating back 6 years and was able to clean up and remove a bunch of them.

I focused on the app’s test directory, and removed about 10 TODO comments. Since some were comments on tests set to skip, I used RSpec’s skip "because reasons" syntax to explain why they’re skipped, so the message appears in the test suite’s output as a better reminder.

Cleaned up a few TODOs, but none were very old. Used to be much worse about using them, but I’ve been trying to get out of that habit because they tend to just languish.

Well I didn’t find any TODOs, but thank you @allTheRobs for the inspiration to continue what I didn’t finish during yesterday’s README challenge.

Today I added an explanation of how to create an instance of our main data structure and how to create a user object with proper authorization for testing.

1 Like

I have a unwritten TODO to get a project deployed. It’s almost there.

Awesome work everyone! Lots of great takeaways from Day 2 :+1:

I am late to the party.
I didn’t find any TODO comments.
Though there were some tasks that were lingering in my mind, so I added stories for them in clubhouse, which would eventually get prioritized by us.
Hope this qualifies