Day 1 - Clean up your README

I took advantage for taking some time to write a quick readme for a side-project I’m working on with a friend.

It’s not a big project yet, but just noticed a couple of weeks ago that we already have a couple of things we should consider when setting up the project in a new project.

I originally wanted to do this in my current client’s project, but we do have a very well documented GitBook. I think for private repos it’s a good alternative haha

Had a bit of Junk/Spam issues with the emails so starting today.

Cleaned up the README for one of our main applications with instructions on how our test setup works. Looks really nice now!

Can’t wait for the rest of the days.

did a complete revamp of our application readme, let’s see what the feedback is from my colleagues

Thanks for this tips!
I never know exactly what to put in the ReadMe of my personal projects, it helps me a lot !

Giving the readme some love felt good. Thanks for the good examples!

2 Likes

That’s been a great start. I also pushed “let’s have good READMEs in all projects” at my new workplace because it would have helped me a lot while onboarding.

For the challenge, I spent time on my own library, which is great, because just yesterday I spent lots of time with getting it published on mavenCentral and that means it can be used by anyone, so having a better readme with the project is very helpful.

Something I skipped today but want to add next, instructions on how to locally build the project in case someone wants to contribute.

1 Like

For one of our code bases, the changelog was still part of the readme file, and it had grown rather long. The end result:

readme.me

• Purpose and context
  • How to run apps
  • How to run tests
  • Reference to changelog

changelog.md

• Pending changes
  • Past releases
1 Like

Started first thing in the morning. The difficult part was choosing a project! Today is a public holiday in the UK, so I wasn’t going to use something from work.

Fortunately I remembered of a personal project that I have semi-abandoned and I’d like to return to, so this challenge may help with that.

Hi everyone, excited to be here :tada:

The first day went well. I chose to focus on a side project for the 30 Day CQC. The project didn’t have a ReadMe file so I created one and added as much detail as possible. I made a note to check it periodically to ensure I keep it up to date.

1 Like

Really excited about this challenge. Updated readme to include links to Staging and Production firebase project. Updated readme to include how to load the firebase config file into Xcode.

Really looking forward to the coming days :muscle:t3:

1 Like

Nice to block out the time and concentrate on something to improve codebase. 20 minutes isn’t long enough but it helps getting started.

The project I chose did not have a readme so it was good to get one started…

1 Like

Today’s challenge was a very pleasant start to my week. We have numerous READMEs across multiple projects so picking one project out of many was my biggest challenge.

The README I ultimately updated was one for somewhat of a Monorepo where we have a webserver and some supporting CLI tools we build around that webserver.

It was great to refamiliarize myself with all the various CLI options and make sure we documented them appropriately. In addition to documenting them, I added runtime assertions and error checking when CLI arguments aren’t passed in.

I’m looking forward to tomorrows challenge.

Hi, I’ve updated the Readme for a CLI that I created and still use called vpr

This CLI allows jumping to different sections in GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket.

This game me the incentive to update the readme for a command line todo list app I created GitHub - closedLoop/whatnext: For devs whose heads overflow with tasks and need a way to prioritize and pushed it to pypi!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Just cleaned up and updated the README for our internal lib/api with deploy instructions.

Tomorrow I intend to follow the advice given today and make QCQ the first thing I do in the workday. I believe this is an important advice to follow so that we don’t let it slip over the “busyness” of our day.

Hello everyone :raised_hand:t4:
First day, cleaned up my readme (Modify README.md by PinkCode15 · Pull Request #2 · PinkCode15/Calla-Charm · GitHub). Not so much detail there yet but I’ll keep updating it to be more descriptive. The codebase is kinda dusty

ok, wow, CQC was already totally worth it. With my new readme and the project being published on mavenCentral, looks like it might go viral ;D

Thanks for the challenge.

This was the first time, I had looked over how things worked in a readme, the badges and logos :slight_smile:
Might even create my profile in a readme one day :sweat_smile:

The challenge was actually a very interesting one, we had a readme that was not updated in last 2 years and it was the time when it was created :grimacing: . I feel really good having made it a bit better, I’m sure my current team would also add a few things in coming time and hopefully it will help us in onboarding devs in our team.

Thanks again for this challenge.

1 Like

Okay, updated my README here quite a bit:

Definitely spent way more than 20 minutes. I need a faster feedback loop i.e. I can easily soak up a lot of time fiddling with markdown and GitHub’s preview is not very good (as it tries to show changes as opposed to just show me the final rendered markdown).

1 Like

Normally I spent quite a lot of time to write nice READMEs, but right now I’m working alone on a prototype and things are still changing a lot all the time. So putting in a getting started guide or a contributing section doesn’t make sense yet. I instead put done some notes on the current architecture, which also helps me make sense of it…

1 Like