Welcome to the forum - Introduce yourself!

Hi @lud :wave:

Where do you use Rust in your stack?

Hey there @connor_lindsey :wave:

TIL about swipe files. Your app’s landing page is pretty slick, as it’s fit for your product :smile:

Marketing idea: When I searched online to understand what a “swipe file” is, this page came up in the results. It might be handy for SEO to create your own “what is a swipe file page”.

Hi @jilles

I funded my studies as a millenium bug-debugger in a Cobol dialect in the late 90’s.

:open_mouth: I’d love to hear some in-the-trenches stories about those years

Hi @jasondew

Where do you use Rust in your stack? I’ve been meaning to try it for a long time but haven’t had a chance yet.

Hi @nicoespeon :wave:

Your blog looks great. I’m one of those maintainer devs who enjoy looking after and improving existing systems possibly more than creating new ones. Subscribed.

1 Like

Hi all and happy new year! :wave::tada:

I’m Gio, I work as a mobile infrastructure engineer for Automattic and my main focus is supporting the iOS devs building apps such as WordPress and Pocket Casts.

Over the years, I’ve enjoyed writing about testing and automation, eventually publishing a book on Test-Driven Development in Swift. Recently, I’ve become interested in the orthogonal topic of productivity in the context of remote work.

This is the 5th CQC I take part in, I think. I always enjoy meeting new people here and improving the codebases I work on.

Hey @mokagio

We use Rust (with Tauri) for internal (dev prod) tools. None of them are open source (yet?), so there is nothing I can share.

We’re also experimenting with Rust for scripts that run on edge (Cloudflare Workers) to handle stateless requests outside the Ruby backend (Ruby scales fine, but with volatile traffic, auto-scaling is a nightmare; Every time you spawn a new container, Rails opens up DB connections and the “cold start” of a Rails app is slow; we’re speaking of spikes to ~ 250 req/s of legit traffic).

1 Like

You are spot on. COVID-19 and the trend to build companies more distributed was a big driver for us. But more important is the high demand for engineers in the US and Europe in general. Even if more and more companies allow working remotely, they often still require their employees to be located in certain jurisdictions for tax and employment law reasons. Or remote employees just want to take the chance to apply for visas to the companies’ home country without planing to actually work in the office.

1 Like

hi @mokagio!

At my day job we’re mostly an Elixir shop, so I’ve used it in spikes via Rustler. It’s nice when there’s a solid Rust crate that we want to use in Elixir-land. Personally, I’ve done the last couple of years of Advent of Code to level up with it.

1 Like

Hey @mokagio, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: The site you linked is actually owned by my co-founder and links to our site, so definitely part of our SEO strategy

1 Like

Hey Gio, I’m glad to e-meet you here! :beer:

1 Like

I was given a 50cm stack of papers that contained all lines in the codebase suspected to contain 2 digit years or operations on them. I spent the first 6 months (2 days a week) filtering this down to 5cm of actual issues just by looking at those pages and reading the corresponding programs. After that I was deemed experienced enough to work on the programs, so I got to fix some of the issues as well, which was easy enough, the dialect wasn’t particularly complicated, nor was the code itself.

I was never given execute access or any reasonable ide, so my development process was:
Day 1: try to fix a few programs, send them to one of the senior devs.
Day 2: same
Day 3 (this is one week later since I only worked two days a week) find results of my first day of fixes on my desk, accompanied by snarky comments depending on the quality of my typo’s. Fix issues, fix some new programs, etc.

Taught me the value of syntax checkers and all other ide-related tools.

1 Like

Wow. I never thought of that. I’m guessing these companies are remote but not properly distributed, meaning they expect folks to work from a certain range of adjacent time zones. With such a setup, they might still be open to get talent from abroad, sponsor them to relocate, but leave it up to the individuals were to live. That sounds advantageous for everyone, the new hire gets to relocate in an area of their choosing and the company doesn’t have to invest in additional long term office space.

There might be a desire to have folks only distributed across certain time zones. But in my experience, that main driver is that most companies – especially smaller startups – struggle with setting up a global distributed workforce because of the difficulty and risks dealing with different tax and employment laws across the globe. Or different laws about your customers’ data privacy and data protection.

There are basically only two ways to handle this global workforce problem: Setting up legal entities in all countries in which employees are located. This means the company has to understand and follow many laws and guidelines. Or they could hire people as contractors instead. But that has again non-desirable consequences because then the relationship between employer and employees is very different (think about: paid time of, stock options, bogus self-employment, less job security).

Hi all

• My name is David.
  • I work with data on the Security team at DigitalOcean.
  • I run Python gRPC code that serves ML models in real-time in production.
  • I also own SQL code managed by dbt to transform data in our data warehouse.

This is my second time in the CQC, and I hope I make it further in to the month than I did last time!