Week 1 retrospective

Those of you that completed all five exercises, what do you think the biggest key to your success was?

The tasks were all achievable in 30 minutes or less. The other factor is I usually tackle them at the start of the day before other work draws me in.

Should I keep the podcast version of the exercises going?

I personally always just read the email.

What’s great?

Learning new skills in all the core areas beyond just code itself (ie. Git, team communication). Having that feeling of accomplishment every day (I’m a team lead so what I ship is not always so concrete). Championing code quality within the company!

What could be better?

I wish I could carve out more time to engage on the forum, but it’s already hard enough to even finish the exercise. We have a Slack channel discussing it but it’s not super active. In a perfect world, I would have more conversation with the other people involved in this awesome challenge!

1 Like

Those of you that completed all five exercises, what do you think the biggest key to your success was?

Like you said, making it a habit. I did the exercise (or at least started it) in the morning. I also didn’t worry too much about how much I completed – I didn’t remove every TODO or write a README for every repo, but I made good, steady, progress.

I didn’t use them. I don’t usually listen to podcasts promptly, so it didn’t work for me.

What’s great?

I really liked how small and universal the exercises were. I passed them on to my team and saw some PRs come out of it.

Could any of the exercises use some tweaks?

The git commands to clean up remotes didn’t fully address some of my git mess. I don’t think there’s an easy way around that. I had to pull myself out of a rabbit hole of manpages.

1 Like

I said to my coworkers and family that I was doing the challenge, it made me feel I was having a better engagement, plus they allowed me to have the time to do it.
Apart from that, I love coding. :computer:

Forum or e-mail works for me, I haven’t try the podcast. :memo:

What’s great?

• I think this forum is an added value, reading about other’s people experiences was great, and I discovered new commands.
  • It is nice to have your tips and/or examples to complete the exercises.
  • Timing was real, either you can accomplish the task in 20min or dig enough to put your hands on it, do some bits and then create a task to continue.
  • Along the first week we did things we normally forget as our apps get bigger and bigger, it is always good to stop for a moment and look at them. :+1:

What could be better?

I’m enjoying the challenge so far :smile:
Thinking about future editions maybe you could have a pre-build project were you apply the exercises. This way people could use that project (if they don’t have one or if an exercise doesn’t apply to it), and then answers could be evaluated easily by comparison.

1 Like

Even though most of the exercises did not result in me needing to do anything to my small personal projects, it was still great to see the types of things I could do to help clean up my code in the future.

1 Like

The size and complexity of the exercises.
Those of you that missed some days, what do you think the root cause was?
A full week, but, to be frank, it probably was mostly not enough determination.
They are so short and properly written, I personally don’t see the need for it.
What’s great?
I guess I’ll be the first answering this from another perspective :grin: - Having a feeling of accomplishment. Actually doing stuff you’ve always wanted/needed to, but always left it for another time. Finding out about tools and tips from other users.
What could be better?
Nothing I can think of right now.

A great initiative, a great experience! :clap::tada:

1 Like

self motiviation?

The course started the same day as my vacation, so i feel a week behind from the get go

Too early to tell. I listened to one but mostly used the text. Possibly a function of me starting off behind though.

I’m really happy that our code base is improving incrementally. I’m going to be scaling the team significantly in 2018 so doing a bit of housekeeping as we approach the end of the year is perfect.

Coming late in the game to the forum threads was a bit overwhelming. with the thread already having over 80 comments, it was time consuming to try to follow the discussion and hard to jump into the conversation. maybe splitting people up into smaller groups and letting each group have it’s own thread. you get to know the people in your cohort, build a rapport, etc.

i think this first batch was pretty solid