Day 8 - Let's extract a compound conditional

Today’s task: extract a compound conditional.

This is best explained in a live-coding, video format. Fortunately, I have just the thing!

Please watch the first 5 minutes of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsilnpU1DU&t=13s

The linked video is a sample of a course I created recently, and it contains my best explanation of how and why to extract compound conditionals.

Again, you only need to watch until 4:58.

For those of you that truly hate video, here’s a brief text version:

Compound conditionals look like this:

if foo && bar
end

Or

if foo || bar
end

Your language might write these slightly differently, but the essential bit is that you have a conditional whose truth depends on the truth of two components combined with a boolean logic operator.

I’ve found that extracting these compound conditionals into a named method almost always improves the code.

In abstract terms, that looks like this:

Before :

if foo && bar
end

After :

if higher_level_concept?
end

def higher_level_concept?
  foo && bar
end

And here’s a concrete example:

Before :

if user_created_account_today? && user_has_unconfirmed_email?
  prevent_user_from_posting
end

After :

if user_has_high_spam_risk?
  prevent_user_from_posting
end

private

def user_has_high_spam_risk?
  user_created_account_today? && user_has_unconfirmed_email?
end

I prefer the second version because it’s more explicit. It takes an implicit idea: “users with new accounts and unconfirmed emails are more likely to post spam” and makes it explicit in the code. This is usually a big win, since it means there is more information in the code, and less that exists only in developers’ heads.

Again, there’s even more useful info in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsilnpU1DU&t=13s , and it’s only 5 minutes, so I suggest watching it.

Today’s challenge: find a compound conditional in your code (just grep for && and ||) and try extracting it into a well-named method. Try to make the new method explain a little more about what the compound conditional means at a higher level.

If the new name is a big enough improvement, consider committing/merging/opening a PR. If not, no worries. Just revert and remember this lesson next time you reach for && or ||.

Done. Current codebase has tons of room for this, but cleaned up one compound conditional to a better name with a short CR.

def trial_license_more_than_one_year?
  …
end

Compound conditional extraction makes my hack for rendering on Svelte “error” POJO not-as hack-y.

Before

{:else if typeof state === 'object' && state.hasOwnProperty('message')}
  <div class="alert alert-error">...

After

const isError = (state: FormState): boolean => {
    return typeof state === 'object' && state.hasOwnProperty('message')
  }

{:else if isError(state)}
  <div class="alert alert-error">...

Done! I found one specific conditional that was used in multiple places and moved it to its own function. I had never thought of compound conditionals as a code smell before, but it does make sense, especially when using the same multiple times. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out as I do other work in my apps.