Day 4 - Excise some unused code

I dropped two serializer files that were duplicated in creating a new version of our app’s API. The serializers were unused and causing bugs as other developers were adding new attributes to the wrong files.

I didn’t expect this exercise to be scary, but I’ve been bitten before when deleting unused code from java classes that were still in use by a JSP though, so it took some convincing myself to go ahead with it. I ended up deleting injected service classes that were not used by a controller for example.

Screenshot from 2021-05-06 10-10-16

I’m impressed - and I’m not even halfway done. Last week I had already deleted a few thousand lines of unused code and I was not expecting this.

Good Afternoon All :slight_smile:

I used the the suggested tool and it highlighted a couple of graphql types that we still had sitting around since when we migrated over to graphql. They would have continued to sit there if i hadnt been pushed to check :slight_smile:

Thanks Again and see you tomorrow

Executed on my codebase!

Tokens found: 202

Time to delete some non used code :stuck_out_tongue:

This tool was not useful for my wordpress running on linux project.
Firstly, I had trouble installing it because I am not running on a mac.
Installation on Linux:

• Download binaries from the gitub repo
  • put the executable in my path
  • install ctags with sudo apt install
  • run ctags -R in my root directory
    Then I was able to run ‘unused’. However, it ate up so much RAM that it shut down after about a minute. Once all other programs were closed I was able to run it. However, the output was not helpful. It analyzed every file in the project including files in node_modules folders. There was no option to tell it to run only on a specific folder. Tracking down all the folder to ignore could take 20 min in itself. Running it in a specific directory was also not a solution. :pensive:
1 Like

I deleted two unused methods from my job project that had a comment:

Remove once DJ processes every remaining job from before the code change

Hi! Couldn’t really make unused work with NodeJS code I have in most of my projects.

However, there is an interesting package called depcheck (depcheck - npm) that will help identify unused dependencies.

I could not find any unused code in my side project but I added linting and set up a pre-push git hook so it should be harder to introduce :slightly_smiling_face:

Bit of bad luck today. For some reason brew install was very slow and I couldn’t achieve anything in the 20 minute timebox. Will give it another try tomorrow.

I used vulture on my work codebase, but from the looks of it, it threw quite a few false positives and I haven’t been at this job too long so today I was cautious of deleting anything. That said I know I am deleting some code in my current change which is nice :smiley:

I wasn’t able to get unused to work on my m1 mac

zsh: segmentation fault  unused

I’m assuming it is an arm architecture issue, but not really sure.

I did get unused to work on my linux machine though and so far haven’t really found anything that I could confidently identify as unused code.

Using unused in conjunction with universal ctags, we generated a report which pointed to a couple of writer methods. We had to act with caution because these referred to attr_accessors which in most cases could not be removed or “downgraded” to readers/writers (for instance: when defined in controllers’ parameter classes that include ActiveModel::Model).

We still ended up with a small refactoring as we could identify 2 service objects were accessors were actually overkill. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll chime in as the PHP weirdo running Linux here… This was a great day because i’ve been meaning to cull much of of this.

I installed PHPMD (mess detector) and found a bit. But then installing the PHP Intellephense and going into my big models, I got even more.

Over 200 lines deleted… not bad… not bad at all!

It took a while for me to set it up but then I finally got it working. I had previously installed some other version of ctags and I forgot to source my shell to get the correct version.

I ran

/usr/local/bin/ctags  -R . $(bundle list --paths)

then

unused --only-filetypes rb

and saw

== UNUSED SUMMARY ==
   Tokens found: 845
   Files found: 448
   Applied language filters: only Ruby
   Sort order: token (asc)
   Usage likelihood: high
   Configuration setting: Rails

I was looking at some randomly and Rails meta programming uses a lot of methods that are considered unused. I will have to revisit this challenge next month.

Nope – couldn’t get unused to work. I installed universal ctags, generated a tags file, ran unused but no unused code was reported. I didn’t report unused code it purposefully added.

On IntelliJ (windows) I was Analyzing > Run Inspection By Name > Unused declaration and here’s the result: “No suspicious code found. 30 files processed in Project”

So late with this forum update, but anyway.

I didn’t find much unused code in the project I am working through, but there was a ton of code that was commented out. I killed it with fire.

I read through some of my projects and didn’t find any code that wasn’t being used. None of my projects got big enough to get to the point where I was refactoring and forgot to delete unused code. But I’ll keep this in mind for the future!