Day 15 - Improve a name

First, an administrative note: I’ve changed how I’m numbering the days for our challenge. I’m going to start including weekends as days for counting purposes. I actually meant to do this from the start, so nothing is actually changing, just the number you see. We’ll still stop on 2/7 as planned.

Okay, onward…

Improve one name today. Any name.

It can be a class name, a method name, a variable name, a constant name, a file name, anything.

If you just thought of a name you know needs improving, do that one.

If you can’t find a name that could be improved, consider these questions:

• Do you ever refer to the same concept slightly differently in different spots?
  • Have you noticed anywhere where a previous rename missed a few references?
  • Pop open your schema. Are your database columns named consistently? (This is just a special case of the first one.)
  • Is the name you’d use to describe a concept to a coworker the same as what’s in the code?
  • Is the name your customers would use the same as what’s in the code?
1 Like

I always struggle with semantical naming. Often I’m unsatisfied with my chosen names especially when I try to read and identify old code and I can’t differentiate between the functionality of functions just by name. One mistake is that when I refactor code I often use a too similiar wording for subfunctions. No more!

Better long and concise, than short and ambiguous.

3 Likes

I’ve improved the names of some constants used in my project and this led to some improvements in the code, so it was a good refactor.
I hope that I didnt broke anything :sweat_smile:

Had some trouble finding spots to improve for this one. Ended up killing a no-longer-used method that had a very generic name (“get_environment”). The best name is no name. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m in process of changing a slightly controversial named for the bad actors in our app to a more neutral one. Lots of code to change so I’m being ultra careful on this one. :no_mouth:

This sprint I’m in charge of renaming a major concept from our domain, so I’ve been working on it today. Also, during this work I had to rename another concept which would be confusing given the major renaming, so a lot of renaming today :sweat_smile:

When trying to find something to rename I stumbled on this SO post. From there I found out about git effort which is available from git-extras (brew install git-extras).

With git effort I was able to run git effort --above 100 to find the files we change the most.

Unsurprisingly, I saw the app’s god class in the list. When opening the file, I was lucky(?) to find the first method could use a rename. It was an example of using a specific name for a general case. Rather than saying updates_account? it was needs_SPECIFIC_ACCOUNT_TYPE?.

Fortunately, it was only used in a small number of places and ended up being a pretty easy change.

3 Likes

git-extras is really nice - thanks @tmr08c!

Sorry for the delay.
This is already a day-to-day task for me.
Sometimes I spend a lot of time finding the right name which will drive my design.
It always amazes me how much a name can free/lock you.
Nice git-extras :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been changing names ongoing whenever I work on a piece of code for awhile. But I took this time to have a general view of the naming in the project. I found quite a few names that were misleading. A lot of them are files ported from other projects that were never renamed to match the new one. For example: eeprom library that actually talk to the spi-flash :wink: I fixed as much as I could in the twenty minutes and left more in my growing list of improvements to make :wink:

1 Like

I found the wonderfully ambiguous name qtProcess(), and after some careful thought, renamed it to the much more accurate emit_keystroke().

Identifying words with just the right meaning is easier for me with a thesaurus. Having a thesaurus integrated into my editor is wonderful. I use it multiple times a day when building new features. If you’re using vim, try out this plugin:

Or see if there are integrations for your editor or OS.

This has dramatically improved the names I’ve chosen for concepts.

1 Like

Lot of changes in this section. I have almost all iterator variables (like the one’s in forEach, filters, maps and so one) with one letter (like k for key or v for value). I’ve change all the names and looks better.