Day 1 - Clean up your README

Editted with the links to the plugins, hope it helps :smiley:

1 Like

I had almost nothing in my README and started to at least have instruction on how to boot the project. I got lost in trying to have a data seed file working and had to stop after a while. I’ll definitely come back to this one and improve my README more regularly.

1 Like

Had the opportunity to setup a project from a new customer and updated their README with all the little tricks and steps that were missing for initial setup of the app. Great first day!

1 Like

Nice first exercise! Its something I try to do on every new codebase I land since at least installation steps get outdated fast. We got already most mentioned points between readme and tech docs but after re-reading some links were deprecated and markdownlinter reported some issues as well https://github.com/consul/consul/commit/dea67bb07855759e87904a8d0f426d4cbccde98e

1 Like

Did some of this yesterday, although our public facing project’s readme was in an ok position, so not much in changes. Was great to look at it again though, since there were some minor changes & url additions that needed to be made.

1 Like

By sheer coincidence I got a head-start on this one, I’d been updating the readme earlier this week while procrastinating.

I took a lot of the early stuff I’d written and moved it to the wiki, being sure to link to the most important pages from the readme.

I’m starting to use the wiki feature in Github more for everything that doesn’t fit in docs or git commits. Anyone else doing that? The only downside I find is that the default navigation (which is just a list of pages) is awful and I have to add a custom menu and keep it up-to-date manually.

1 Like

Getting to Day 1 a little late…

I took the opportunity to spend the 20 minutes working with a developer who recently had to get the application setup on a new machine to sand down some rough corners with getting started and update some of the README.md based on previous versions.

Great reference links I will have to look at when doing some new stuff on the side this year too.

Someone new started in the project recently, so README was already good.
Someone else more experienced will start tomorrow, so I included more information as it was me who is reading instead of someone more experienced.

The commit message:

Update README

* Explain the architecture
* Update how to run the project and explains what happens
* Update deploy process

Life got in the way the first week of the challenge so I am trying to get caught up now :smile:.

The template and resources were great! My readme was just a simple one-sentence description but it is now vastly improved.

I don’t know if the README here can be cleaned up or optimized :sweat_smile: made the package PHP 8 compatible though.

I’ll admit I did this exercise in the evening, way after working hours, because it was just a crazy day today. Tomorrow I plan to start my morning with CQC. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyways, I cleaned up the README for this repo, and in doing so started referring to our commit message validation Github action. I realized the README on that action was very outdated, so I updated that README as well.

Thanks Ben, looking forward to the rest of the challenge, this was a good start!

Updated a readme at my current client to now list all necessary steps in order to run it locally (a rather complicated docker swarm setup). After several new things have been added in the past week the readme was out of date to what steps are really needed. Took some time in the morning to brush that up! :+1:

Took some time to do some documentation in Notion for our business stakeholders of our main internal product. Great idea

Thanks for this. It was interesting to learn integrating gif and templating logo in the repo! Did one for my internal repo and it’s time to show off the markdown skills with peers

Even in the end of day, I did. It was an excellent opportunity to see new patterns of Read me and to start to document a pet project.README

I made a really small change here; our README had links that looked like so:

For instructions setting up your workflow, see here

Where “here” was the link. I’m not a fan of “here” being link text, and I could never find that link, so I updated it to be much clearer: https://crrev.com/c/2666687

I added README to my repository. It feels good.

• Add screenshot the app
  • Add Version and Tagging
  • How to build and use the env configurations
  • Steps to make a contribution

I ended up creating a new project just for this purpose. Starting a new project for this challenge - since I am not employed right now.