Day 1 - Clean up your README

Just finished completing my README.md update for today.

Rather than updating a specific repository README, I updated the README for the knowledge base for all or different repos to describe each at a high level and where they fit.

Hope to dive into the gist / awesome examples later too.

Thanks all! Nice to see so many people getting after it today.

1 Like

First Day challenge complete. I updated the README to a project. It was just the basic README. But has now been updates with a project description, tech used, contributor list and a screengrab.

1 Like

Great start to the 30-day challenge! I decided to update the README of one of our component library repositories. It had been neglected since creation so this was a very welcomed change!!

1 Like

Woohoo documentationg!

Loved day one. Filled in some of the gaps and added more loveliness to our readme

1 Like

Deleted some dead code snippets, fixed a few typos, and then added documentation of our spreadsheet import/export functionality, with links to documentation for the gems we use and links to the relevant classes (the spreadsheet stuff doesn’t really jive with the rest of our json api so this had been bothering me for awhile). Also added links to our CI and PaaS dashboards.

Took a little longer than 20 minutes if I’m being honest but hard to stop once I got going.

1 Like

Updated the README for our Dashboard application and API application.

Made sure that the installation instructions are up-to-date and removed the dead points which were no longer relevant.

Also noticed that we were running older version of few dependencies. Added it to the backlog to update them.

2 Likes

Updated README by adding FAQ to address common issues with onboarding new developers. Also added insights to CI and Overcommit (git hooks) integrations.

1 Like

Excellent timing for this one! We’re about to bring a few new folks onto the team running through the README with the new-hire POV is really helpful.

1 Like

I took the time to add overview documentation on what the codebase is for, link to some business-level documentation for context, and clean up Markdown. Lots more to do, but kept it to 20 minutes!

1 Like

As we only started just about a month ago, I hadn’t given our README a single thought. Actually I was using it as a “brainstorming” document, where I’d put feature ideas etc.

These have now been migrated to seperate issues and new README.md as well as CONTRIBUTE.md has been added instead.

Thank you for getting me started on this, and it was super motivating to see so many posting here as well!

1 Like

Can I start by saying how much I love this exercise :smiley: This was a great start b/c our team is growing and with everyone being so distributed, this is exactly where every new dev starts.

I updated our readme but also updated the wikis that were linked that had a lot more detail on company processes as they relate to development. Turns out that stuff has change a pretty good bit! Even the tools we use.

Cheers!

1 Like

Sorry to spam y’all with likes, but I think everyone deserves a little love and encouragement. However, I’m nearing my daily quota so someone else will have to take up the baton. :joy:

2 Likes

Hello,

I’ve made some updates on an internal README with a lot of missing/out of date information. great tip

Releasemd a v0.1.0 of a new library of mine yesterday, so just in time to spend a month making incremental improvements! Today I added a logo, some additional badges, and clearer documentation/notes to the README: https://www.github.com/mikowitz/ex_png

Well, we got one cleaned up and in pretty good shape. Lot’s of deleting irrelevant stuff and created one new issue to deal with something in a better way.

I’m the solo maintainer of our small, pretty chaotic startup’s frontend code base so this is not the kind of task with immediate ROI for me but it was an interesting challenge nonetheless. Managed to replace the default scaffolded README with something cleaner and more informative that included new sections on the contribution workflow, deployment process and descriptions of several npm scripts. Along the way I also had to clarify which of our many random branch naming conventions to adopt moving forward so that was immediately useful. Looking forward to day two :slight_smile:

Done with day 1! Luckily, the company I work for already has a solid README, but I noticed that it was missing instructions for the flow we go through to deploy something to production so I took the opportunity to add it!

1 Like

I have used the README during my onboarding process at current company, some 3 months ago.
Having a good readme was a precious thing, and even with that I have found some references to outdated tools we use no more – updated that.

(And I guess that this 20-minutes change won’t pass code review until all the other stale parts are fixed :-P)

I’ve had a few notes of improvement for the README of the main repo at my company since I onboarded 6 months ago, that I never got around to updating. Some of them got sniped by another member of the team, but I did get to make a one line change that’s been sitting on the todo list. Now I’m wondering (hoping) there’s another day that’s for cleaning up the wikis… because I have plenty of notes for those as well!

This was a great way to start the challenge. I worked on updating a project whose README was completely neglected. The timing of this was perfect as I have a new team member that is coming onto this project later this week and so I focused on onboarding process that will help them as they get started. This was a fantastic exercise and I am planning to spend more time getting all my READMEs on other projects in good shape in the coming days as well.